The Blended Burger Project™ has finished its two-month run, during which 349 restaurants from 38 states developed and served their version of a blended burger, which combines finely chopped mushrooms with meat to create a more delicious, nutritious, and sustainable burger. More than 2 million online votes were cast at jamesbeard.org/blendedburgerproject, and the five restaurants with the most votes have won the opportunity to cook at the official welcome reception for the JBF Food Conference, taking place at the historic James Beard House in New York City on October 16.
Our Blended Burger Project winners are:
1. Bareburger, NYC (LaGuardia Place location) – topping its wild boar and sweet tamari mushroom blended burger with picked red onion, crispy mustard greens, and Sriracha vinaigrette.
2. The Wood’s Kitchen, Bloomingdale, GA – serving up a Worcestershire-glazed double mushroom burger with charred Vidalia onion on a mushroom-salted brioche bun.
3. Logan’s Underground Supper Club, Memphis, TN – presenting “The Mushroom Monster”: equal parts portobella mushrooms and ground beef, then seasoned with the restaurant’s own Legends seasoning blend. The burger is topped with fontina cheese, lettuce, tomato, and bacon.
4. Cedar’s Café, Melbourne, FL – featuring ground beef blended with portobella, shiitake and cremini mushrooms, topped with pomegranate ketchup, banana pepper–curry mustard, tahini rémoulade, balsamic onion, goat cheese, bacon, spinach, and avocado.
5. The Orchard Lounge, McAllen, TX – creating a shiitake, chorizo, and beef blend patty, topped with homemade strawberry fig jam, chipotle aïoli, pickled cucumber, butter lettuce, a fried egg, bacon, tomato, and string mushrooms.
Stay tuned! We’ll be sharing the recipes for the winning burgers soon.
Full Article: James Beard.