Bacon and Mushroom Calzones come packed with cheese, mushrooms, bacon and a secret ingredient that make these calzones phenomenal.
⅓ of pizza dough (see easy pizza dough for recipe)
6 slices of fried bacon
¼ cup sliced olives
4 large sliced sauteed mushrooms
2 anchovies (optional)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg for egg wash
Marinara sauce (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
2. Divide the pizza dough in half, to make two calzones. Roll out the dough into a circle so that it’s about 1 foot in diameter. Place the mozzarella cheese on half of the dough, top with bacon and olives. Usually I saute my mushrooms first, but you can omit this step and place the olives on top of the cheese and bacon and if you are using the anchovies add it now.
3. Fold the half of the dough with no ingredients over the half with the ingredients and roll up the ends, or press them with a fork. Add a little bit of water if you need them to stick together.
4. Brush the calzones with egg wash.
5. Bake for about 20 to 25 minute, or until nice and golden brown.
6. Serve with marinara sauce.
Full Recipe: Jo Cooks.