Try these delicious fried mushrooms & cream cheese pockets! Just a word of caution here – mushrooms tend to give off a lot a moisture when cooking. Please try to use cremini mushrooms, or even thinly sliced ports. You really need to have a meaty mushroom, or you need to over-sauté button or white mushrooms to get as much moisture out as possible.
1 package eggroll wrappers
¾ cup cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups cremini mushrooms
1 small onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon butter
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1. Add the butter to the sauté pan and allow to melt on medium heat.
2. Add the mushrooms, onions, salt, and pepper. Saute until the mushrooms are dark in colour and the onions are cooked.
3. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute.
4. Remove mixture to a large bowl to cool
5. Using a hand mixer, whip the cream cheese until free of lumps. Stir the green onions into the cream cheese.
6. Once the mushrooms and onions are cooled completely, gently fold into the cream cheese mixture.
7. Place one egg roll wrapper on a cutting board. Position 3 tablespoons of the mushroom and cheese mixture in the middle of the wrapper.
8. Using only lukewarm water, dip your finger into the water and run it gently along two sides of the egg roll wrapper. This helps to seal it.
9. Fold over one corner to meet the opposite corner. Use the back of a fork to gently press and seal all the way around the pocket.
10. Set all pockets aside and cover loosely with a damp towel.
11. Bring your cooking oil to the right temperature according to your fryer. If not using a deep fryer, pour the oil into a large, deep skillet. Turn the heat to medium and wait until the oil is heated.
12. Fry the pockets for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Full Recipe: Pretty Practical Pantry.