Everything tastes better covered in teriyaki sauce, so you can imagine how much making it fresh can enhance a dish. This recipe from the Hungry Pigeon in Philadelphia for teriyaki sauce is used to glaze these tuna and mushroom skewers.
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup water, plus ½ tablespoon, divided
2 tablespoons mirin
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ tablespoon finely grated orange zest
2 garlic cloves, minced
One 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
For the Skewers:
¼ cup olive oil, divided
14 ounces shiitake mushrooms
Two 1-pound tuna steaks, cut into 2-inch cubes
Bamboo skewers, soaked, for grilling
Full Recipe: Tasting Table.
1. Make the teriyaki sauce: In a medium saucepan, bring the soy sauce, ½ cup of the water, the mirin, brown sugar and granulated. Meanwhile, mix together the remaining 2 tablespoons water with the cornstarch until smooth. Stir into the boiling sauce and stir until thickened, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining sauce ingredients. Let cool completely.
2. Make the skewers: In a large skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, but not fully cooked, 5 minutes. Let cool completely.
3. Using bamboo skewers, add 3 pieces of tuna with 3 shiitake caps, alternating between the two. Lay out the skewers on a baking sheet and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
4. Light a grill. Add the skewers and glaze with some of the teriyaki sauce. Cook, turning as needed, until lightly charred, but still rare in the center, 2 minutes.
5. Transfer to a platter and drizzle with more teriyaki sauce, then serve.