Score major points at your next gathering with these Italian Turkey Sausage Blended Sliders courtesy of Aggie’s Kitchen.
Makes 6 sliders
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
8 oz whole baby Portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
1lb bulk Italian turkey sausage
½ small onion, finely chopped
¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
pinch of coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
2 bell peppers (any color) sliced thin
1 sweet onion, sliced thin
½ teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
6 Italian dinner rolls
1. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add finely chopped mushrooms to skillet and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until completely cooked down. Set aside to cool.
2. Add Italian turkey sausage, chopped onion, egg, mozzarella cheese and cooled mushrooms to a large bowl. Season with coarse salt and fresh ground pepper. Using your hands, gently combine and form into 6 patties. Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set before grilling.
3. While your burgers are in the refrigerator, prepare your pepper and onion topping. Heat remaining teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Add peppers and onion to skillet, season with salt, pepper and oregano. Let cook for 15 minutes, occasionally tossing will cooking.
4. Heat your grill to medium-high heat. Place burgers on lightly oiled grill (or you can brush a little oil on each patty to prevent sticking). Cook burgers for about 7 minutes on each side, until completely cooked through.
5. Serve on Italian dinner rolls with sautéed peppers and onions, ketchup and mustard.
Full Recipe: Mushroom Council.