Check out this delicious and flavorful Mini Mushroom Pot Pies. Perfect for dinner!
150g white button mushrooms, cut in quarters
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion (approximately 120g), finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
150g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 carrot, finely diced
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ cup (60mls) vegetable stock (I used mushroom)
¼ cup (60mls) red wine
2 all purpose flour
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed but cold
1 egg, whisked
1. Place the quartered mushrooms in the bowl of food processor fitted with a metal blade and pulse until the mushrooms are very finely diced. Set aside.
2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a heavy pan over high heat.
3. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and garlic and sauté until just starting to soften.
4. Add the carrots and thyme to the pan and sauté for 5-7 minutes until carrots are starting to soften.
5. Add the diced and sliced mushrooms to the pan and sauté until they brown slightly and start to release their juices.
6. Combine the stock and wine and add to the mushroom mixture.
7. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
8. Reduce heat to medium, add the flour and simmer around 5 minutes. There should still be some liquid left in the pan.
9. Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 375˚F.
10. Divide the mushroom mix between four ramekins (approximately 1/3 cup of mixture per ramekin).
11. Top the ramekins with the pastry squares and press down to completely cover the mushroom mixture. There will be some pastry hanging over the edge, you can fold it back onto the top of the pie to create a border.
12. Press the edges of the pastry down with the tines of a fork
13. Brush the tops of the pies with the egg wash and pierce the top of the pastry with a knife three times.
14. Place the ramekins on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden.
15. Place the vol au vent shells on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
16. Divide the mushroom mixture evenly among the shells and bake until the shells are warmed through – about 15 minutes.
Full Recipe: Mushroom Canada.