Crispy mushroom arancini stuffed with melty mozzarella and deep fried to a crisp, golden brown served with roasted tomato sauce is a great appetizer.
2-3 cups cold mushroom risotto
½-1 cup mozzarella cubes (depending on how many arancini you make)
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs seasoned with salt and pepper
oil, for frying
For Roasted Tomato Sauce:
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
2 sprigs fresh thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
1. To make the roasted tomato sauce, pre-heat the oven to 200ºc.
2. Place the cherry tomatoes, onion, garlic, Balsamic vinegar, sugar and thyme in a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven.
3. Allow to roast for 45 minutes until the tomatoes are soft then transfer to a blender and blend to your desired consistency. Set aside.
4. To make the arancini, take small handfuls of the cold risotto and place a cube of mozzarella in the centre. Enclose the mozzarella then roll into a ball and cover with the breadcrumbs. Set on a plate and repeat until all the risotto has been used.
5. Fry the arancini in hot oil until golden brown and the mozzarella inside has melted.
6. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with roasted tomato sauce.
Full Recipe: Simply Delicious Food.