Make a delicious Mushroom Philly Cheesesteak in no time!
- 1 pound rib eye (very thinly sliced)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 3 cups shiitake mushrooms (sliced & stemmed)
- 2 cups onion (or 1 large onion, thinly sliced)
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1 baguette (split and toasted)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Put a large Dutch oven or griddle over high heat. Season the beef on both sides with salt and pepper. Pour 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into the pot and arrange the beef in a single layer. Cook, without moving, for 1 minute. Remove the beef to a platter.
To the same pan, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil followed by the mushrooms and onion. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften and caramelize, about 3 1/2 minutes.
Arrange the vegetable in the pan to form 4 equal piles. Top each pile with an equal amount of beef and then 2 slices of provolone. Add 2 tablespoons water to the pot, cover, and cook until the cheese is melted and the beef is cooked through, about 30 seconds.
Using a spatula, stuff each pile into a toasted baguette, and serve.
Helpful Tip: use clean paint scrapers to flip and cut the beef when searing on a cast iron griddle!
For the full recipe: ABC.