Try these delicious Portobello Fries this Sunday. They are ever so simple…
2 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1/3 cup mayonnaise
juice from 2 Meyer lemons
salt and fresh cracked pepper
1. Heat several inches of oil to 340F in a deep pot. Use a thermometer for accuracy.
2. Meanwhile, mix the buttermilk, flour, and salt together to make a batter. It should have the consistency of a thick pancake batter.
3. When the oil is hot, coat the mushrooms in the batter, shaking off any excess, and fry, in batches, until golden brown and crispy. Flip the mushrooms over in the oil a couple of times. This will take about 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Drain the mushrooms on paper towels.
5. To make the Lemonnaise, whisk the mayo and the lemon juice together until smooth. Add a pinch of salt, and lots of fresh cracked black pepper. The sauce will be on the thin side.
Full Recipe: The View From Great Island.