Inspired by a signature pizza from the Mellow Mushroom restaurant chain, this pizza is a richly-flavored blend of caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, garlic, truffle oil, goat cheese (chèvre) and fresh mozzarella baked atop a crispy, White-Wheat Crust (recipe included). Topped with a sprinkle of fresh chives and an extra drizzle of truffle oil just before serving, it’s a real treat for mushroom lovers.
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-1/2 teaspoons garlic, very finely chopped (about 3 medium cloves)
1 tablespoon white truffle oil, plus more for drizzling
12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 to 3 ounces chèvre (goat cheese)
2 to 3 ounces fresh mozzarella
2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
1/2 recipe White-Wheat Pizza Dough (recipe follows), or your favorite store-bought dough
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F, lightly oil a 12-inch round pizza pan, sprinkle with a little cornmeal and set aside.
2. Combine 1 teaspoon of the garlic with the truffle oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 7 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, add the remaining garlic and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden in color, 10 to 12 minutes longer. If you feel the mixture is too dry during cooking, just add a little water.
4. Once the onions are golden, add the mushrooms and cook just long enough for them to shrink slightly and become tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
5. Roll the pizza dough to fit the prepared pan. Spread the garlic-truffle oil mixture over the entire surface and pre-bake the crust for 5 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and spread the onion-mushroom mixture evenly on top. Arrange the cheeses evenly around the pizza and return to the oven until the crust is nicely toasted and the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with fresh chives and drizzle with a little extra truffle oil. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Full Recipe: My Gourmet Connection.