How about some vegetarian meatballs, people? You are probably feeling a little skeptical about these right now, but let me assure you – these Vegetarian Mushroom Meatballs are fantastic! They are super moist and have a wonderful earthy and nutty taste. You only have to taste these once, and they will surely end up in your “Favorites” list…
3 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion (chopped)
20oz mushrooms, finely chopped
1 cup quick cook oats
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup chopped parsley
4 garlic cloves (minced)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
24 oz jar Ragu marinara sauce
parsley to garnish
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. In a large skillet, saute the onion in olive oil on medium-low heat for about 7 minutes. Add mushrooms, increase the heat to medium-high and cook them for 10-15 minutes. You’ll need to wait until the water evaporates and then keep cooking the mushrooms until they brown nicely. Add garlic, stir, and transfer the mushrooms into the mixing bowl. Let them cool down.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients excluding marinara and parsley to the mixture. Stir the mixture nicely and cover it with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, possibly overnight for the flavors (and texture!) to develop.
3. When ready to cook, using a tablespoon as a measure, form small balls from the mixture. Fry the balls in a small amount of vegetable oil until they turn brown or bake then in a preheated oven at 400F for 15 minutes.
4. Add marinara sauce to the medium saucepan. Place the meatballs on top and cook the meatballs in the sauce on a low heat for about 15 more minutes.
5. Garnish with grated Parmesan or fresh parsley.
Full Recipe: Cooktoria.